Monday, September 12, 2011

Of Mastiff and Marathon

I am having kind of a hard time lately. I miss Huan so much, more than I have in a long time. I don't know what else to say about that. He was extraordinary. I will never have another dog like him. I will never know another soul as gentle and gracious and humble and sweet and good and decent as he. Repeat.

I have been training for a marathon, for months actually. There. I said it. Only a few people, until now, have known that. I haven't even registered for it, but the registration screen has been minimized on my laptop for what feels like forever. I have been afraid of jinxing it, I guess, but it's too late for that.

Current status: my longest run to date is 16 miles. I have been running 3-4 times a week, all according to the guidelines of a free online training program. There is always one really long run (e.g. 15 miles), 1-2 shorter runs (e.g. 3-5 miles), and one long-ish run (e.g. 8-10 miles). My times have been pretty impressive for a rookie (9:30-40ish on long runs), though that may be because I am a total idiot and haven't stopped to rest or hydrate ever. (No, I am not kidding.) I have also maintained my bootcamp days, but had to drop my leg day at the gym. I have, until now, maintained my upper body weight training regimen. And now I am injured.

Injured?

For weeks, my shins have been very painful to the touch, and it has gotten increasingly more painful to run on them. I have also been suffering through hip pain that is now pretty unbearable. There have been a couple of times when my leg has gone numb, and I haven't been able to support my weight while running. This past Friday, I set out to do an 8 miler, and I didn't make it 1/2 mile before I had to stop, tears streaming down my face, and limp home. I remember thinking, "I don't even know how to distinguish anymore. What will I tell the doctor? Does the pain radiate up my legs or down them?"

I have an appointment with a sports medicine doctor tomorrow. I have an appointment with a podiatrist on Friday. I am icing and stretching and taking anti-inflammatories. And resting. For the first time EVER, I missed a run, a 12 miler yesterday. I have no idea how much more I will have to miss. I am scheduled for a half marathon at the end of the month, which is just part of my training for the full in October. I don't know that I will be able to do either now. And I can't even stomach the thought of that. I have given this everything I have to give. I have set my alarm at 4AM on long run days so I can be home in time to get the baby when she wakes and so Hubby can leave for work. I have run in South Carolina, while on vacation, down cobblestone streets in the midst of Hurricane Irene storms. I even set my alarm at God knows what time to fit in a 10 miler before our flight took off for South Carolina. And, to reiterate, it has really, really hurt most days, even to run one mile.

I began running a week after Huan died, and I haven't stopped since. I always wanted to run, to be a runner,  but never really had the kind of motivation that the loss of Huan inspired. (I often call it "grief running.") And I did  toy with the idea of training for just a half, but I tend to operate in extremes. I go big, or I go home. I go Mastiff. I go marathon. And I have to believe that, even if I can't physically cross the finish line, everything that has carried me to this moment in my training--the struggle, the love, the grief, the tenacity, even the dedication to get out of bed at 4AM for months on end--that's all big stuff--bigger, perhaps, than even 26.2 miles.

I really hope I can believe that.

4 comments:

  1. You are awesome. I can't believe your discipline. I know this is probably a really dumb question, but do you have good running shoes? When I first started running, I got shin splints because my running shoes were for trails, and I was running on pavement. (I'm sure you are not as dumb as I was, but I just thought I'd mention it.) You are right that all of the sacrifices you've made are big--Mastiff big--and I hope that will give you satisfaction, even if your body doesn't allow you to run the marathon. Remember when I first started working at OP (back when I was in shape), and you were amazed that I ran 4-5 miles a day? I remember you saying that you could "never" do that. "I am not a runner," you told me. Ha. You know, Huan's body didn't let him run as much as he wanted to either, right? His knees and legs hurt him too. Just one more connection between the two of you. I am praying for you, and I hope your body heals quickly!! Love you! (And happy birthday tomorrow!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoken to the girl who thought it was OK to run 15 with no rest or water, NOT a stupid question. But, yes, I have been Fleet Feet fitted and don't need new sneaks until 3 weeks before the race. I even run with insoles (though I guess I need orthotics) and compression sleeves. Love you, too. Thanks for always reading and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle - you'll get through it. Training for a marathon is not really a natural part of our lives. It does a great deal of damage to our parts, and yet we love it and continue to do it. I've been running since I was 14. I've been there, through the worst of injuries. You'll get through it. Also, I second all that Rachel said about Huan. She's nailed it. Good luck and be strong.

    p.s. if it makes you feel better, I'm only allowed to walk two miles four days a week. You'd be amazed at what an 8lb 13oz-er can do to your lady-parts!! (Too much info? probably!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle,

    Your body's inability to keep up with your spirit and determination does not diminish the efforts and accomplishments you have experienced thus far. It is not a question of whether you've done "big" things, and it is not a question of "believing" you've done big things.

    You've done them.

    Period.

    <3 KP

    ReplyDelete