Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happy Birthday

Today is Huan's birthday. He would have been seven years old.

When he was just a puppy, not even six months old, David decorated our apartment on my 24th birthday when I was at work (more on the awesomeness of David later), and I came home to this:

What a handsome birthday boy. (And I love that he isn't even a half-year old and looks the size of a full grown lab.)

I had hoped--and had really thought--that he would be here today. I kept pleading, "Plllllease let him see his birthday." To whom? God. Air. David. Anyone and anything. I just didn't want to have to say, "Huan died when he was six." I wanted him to be seven. Really, I wanted him to live forever. But six? Six hurts. Six sucks.

I would have fed Bubba a steak today. Cuddled him. Rubbed his ears. Walked him if he were able. Decorated with streamers, maybe, and then let him eat them with his steak and a side of pens and pants. (Not really, but he would have definitely been pleased.) There would have been doggy cake. There would have been love.

But instead of spending the day with Huan, I had to settle for making the day about Huan. Grace and I took a walk--not just any walk, but the Bubba route, and then I vowed never to walk that route again until March 30, 2012. I talked to her about him most of the way; I tried to teach her to say "Bubba" when we got home; and I watched her smile and coo as I showed her his pictures after lunch. I made a donation in his honor to the SPCA, which I will certainly do every year. 

There were tears yesterday, and there will be tears tomorrow, but there were happy moments today--there was love today--because that's what Huan deserves. A happy birthday. A celebration of his beautiful life.

Happy Birthday, Bubba Love. Mama loves you, today and always.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I am so glad you're still writing.

    I write my mom a letter on Mother's Day every year. I also celebrate her birthday with a "Sallybration." It always includes brownies (like mother like daughter). Hey...if Huan liked to eat pens and pants, maybe YOU should eat pens and pants on his birthday! (totally kidding!)

    I love how you are honoring Huan's life. xoxooxoxx

    ReplyDelete